Friday, November 03, 2006

"The Camp of the Saints"

Peter Stothard, Editor of the Times Literary Supplement, writes in his blog:

By then, "the White race was nothing more than a million sheep," beaten down by decades of anti-White propaganda.

In 1973 the French writer Jean Raspail wrote a novel of the future in which Europe is overrun by Asian boatpeople who have lost the will to drive them away. While journalists and churchmen argue the fine points of multiculturalism, their own culture is destroyed.

The Camp of the Saints is one of those books more cited than read, and more and more cited these days, it seems.

I long ago remember promising myself that I would get a copy and see for myself. [click here to read the rest of his post]

As it happens, I read this book back in the 1990s. In fact, I assigned it in my Introduction to International Politics class.

It's one of those books whose principle value is illuminating its readers' reactions. Immigration is a thorny issue where the usual left-right and liberal-conservative boundaries break down, and there really are strong points on the (many) opposing sides of the political debate. I can appreciate many of the arguments of those with whom I don't agree about what should be done (or not done) about immigration. But enthusiastic fans of this book's message get no sympathy from me.

--Marshal Zeringue