Thursday, December 13, 2007

What is Chuck Thompson reading?

The latest contributor to Writers Read: Chuck Thompson, author of Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer.

One book mentioned in his entry:
Henderson the Rain King, by Saul Bellow. Having just returned from a month in Africa I remain immersed in all sorts of Africa reading. Before leaving on my trip, I'd plowed through four or five good but tragic histories of the continent (King Leopold's Ghost, African Madness, etc.). Upon my return home, I decided to pick up this terrific Saul Bellow novel which I read back in college. It's a much different "Africa" than you get in social history texts — extremely funny, warm, and engaging. I've only read two or three Bellow novels but re-reading this one confirms that it's my favorite. [read on]
The first editor in chief of Travelocity magazine, Chuck Thompson’s work has appeared in Maxim, The Atlantic, Esquire, National Geographic Adventure, and Escape, among many others. He has played in a variety of bands, and worked as an ESL instructor, DJ, and assistant sergeant of arms in the Alaska House of Representatives.

Visit Chuck Thompson's website and read an excerpt from Smile When You're Lying.

Writers Read: Chuck Thompson.

--Marshal Zeringue