Sunday, September 07, 2008

What is Joshua Henkin reading?

The current featured contributor to Writers Read: Joshua Henkin, author of the widely-acclaimed novel Matrimony.

His entry begins:
I spent the beginning of this summer moving my family back to Brooklyn, where we generally live, from Philadelphia, where we were living last year, so in June and July I was doing lots of little bursts of reading between unpacking boxes. Short stories ended up serving me well, particularly because this fall I’ll be teaching several collections I haven’t taught before. Charles D’Ambrosio is one of my favorite writers, and I was rereading The Dead Fish Museum, and also reading Colm Tóibín’s wonderful collection of stories Mothers and Sons, which my colleague Joan Silber, a terrific short story writer herself, recommended to me. [read on]
Read an excerpt from Matrimony, and learn more about the novel and its author at Joshua Henkin's website and his blog.

Henkin is also the author of the novel Swimming Across the Hudson, which was named a Los Angeles Times notable book of the year. His short stories have been published in Glimmer Train, Ploughshares, The Southern Review, The Yale Review, Triquarterly, DoubleTake, The North American Review, The New England Review, Boulevard, and elsewhere.

The Page 69 Test: Matrimony.

Writers Read: Joshua Henkin.

--Marshal Zeringue