Friday, June 26, 2009

Lisa See: notable books about China

Lisa See's most recent book is Shanghai Girls.

For Powell's, she named several books that "have made me think about China in new ways, pressed me to be more critical (and sometimes more forgiving) of the country, have captured a moment or a subject in a unique way, or have knocked my socks off with the audacity of the subject or the skill of the writer."

One of the titles:
Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine by Jasper Becker

To my knowledge, this is the most complete and thorough examination of China's Great Leap Forward, when 30 million people died of starvation caused by Mao's attempt at utopian agricultural policies. It's rare to read a book so well researched, thoughtful, and provocative. I can't stop thinking about it.
Read about another book on See's list.

Also see 2008's best China books and Five Good Short Books on China.

The Page 99 Test: Lisa See's Peony in Love.

--Marshal Zeringue