Saturday, May 15, 2010

What is Daniëlle Hermans reading?

This weekend's featured contributor at Writers Read: Daniëlle Hermans, author of The Tulip Virus.

Her entry begins:
Sometimes, my reading-days go by without me getting really excited about what am reading. But there are periods – they are always periods, I don’t know why – that I read a book that I love. And then another, and another.

The last couple of weeks, I read three books in a row that got under my skin. You probably have already read them, as I am Dutch and translations take some time. If you haven’t, please do!

Two of the books on my joyful reading list are by R.J. Ellory. The reason I bought them was because they received excellent reviews here in Holland. I first read Ellory’s A Quiet Belief in Angels. We follow the life of Joseph Vaughan as he grows up in a small town terrorized by the brutal killings of young girls. During his life, as a boy, a teenager and a grown-up, he is determined to find out who the murderer is. I completely fell for the In Cold Blood-atmosphere that Ellory paints...[read on]
Among the early praise for The Tulip Virus:
"[T]his taut thriller... unfolds with dramatic timing that is enhanced by a dual story... Danielle Hermans has managed to write a wonderfully structured novel based on meticulous research and an imaginative theme. At the same time, she’s avoided a common pitfall of authors who may tend to become wordy and pontifical in narratives that reveal copious historical information. This very satisfying historical mystery lays the groundwork for what may become a shibboleth for this author."
--New York Journal of Books

"Hermans reveals how the past can impact the present and gives us a fascinating lesson in the history of the tulip industry, much as Michelle Wan has done in her mysteries about rare orchids... Sure to appeal to fans of contemporary mysteries with historical backdrop.
--Library Journal

The Tulip Virus is an elegant, taut, eerily familiar tale about a murderous legacy of greed, bubble and bust.”
--John MacLachlan Gray, author of The Fiend in Human and Not Quite Dead
Learn more about The Tulip Virus at the publisher's website and visit Daniëlle Hermans' website.

Writers Read: Daniëlle Hermans.

--Marshal Zeringue