Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What is Katie Alender reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Katie Alender, author of Bad Girls Don't Die and From Bad to Cursed.

Her entry begins:
The question "What is Katie Alender reading?" could be combined with the question "How is Katie Alender reading?" I read across a variety of formats, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My current tree-book of choice is Chime by Franny Billingsley. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm really enjoying the sumptuousness of the language. Also, the town in which it's set has the same name as the small town in Ohio where I have a ton of family and lots of wonderful memories. So I thought that was pretty cool.

One of my big problems is that I have a ton of books and relatively little time to read lately. Also, since I became a stay-at-home author, my attention span has deteriorated to squirrel-like proportions. (Although, thinking about it, squirrels are pretty good at focusing on the task at hand--maybe that's an unfair comparison. Sorry, squirrels.) One thing I love to do is sit down for breakfast or lunch with...[read on]
Among the praise for Bad Girls Don't Die:
“Fans of classic young adult ghost stories should welcome this solid offering.”
--Publishers Weekly

“The spooky story has all the right elements to keep pages turning and lights switched on.”
--Horn Book

“Strong characterization will draw readers in … both primary and secondary characters are unique and satisfyingly complex.”
--Kirkus

“The book begins with promising spooky menace, and ghost-story aficionados will recognize the delicious classic tropes of the vengeful dead and old tragedies revenged upon descendents … this may suffice to give haunt fans an enjoyable frisson.”
--The Bulletin for the Center of Children’s Books

“With just enough violence, suspense, and romance to keep readers turning the pages, this is a promising debut for a new young author and will be a popular addition to any YA collection.”
--Booklist
Visit Katie Alender's website, blog, and Facebook page.

Read--Coffee with a canine: Katie Alender & Winston.

Writers Read: Katie Alender.

--Marshal Zeringue