Thursday, March 15, 2012

Christopher Hebert's "The Boiling Season," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Boiling Season by Christopher Hebert.

The entry begins:
My favorite books and movies tend to be heavily atmospheric, stuff that’s saturated in a rich sensory world. Not surprisingly, I’m a pretty cinematic writer myself. Place is definitely one of the biggest characters in The Boiling Season.

The book is set in a Caribbean island loosely based on Haiti, and it has some political aspects to it. For those two reasons, I can’t think of a film adaptation without thinking of Jonathan Demme, who has deep connections to Haiti himself and has a subtle political sensibility. The same goes for Paul Haggis. Then there’s Danny Glover, who’s directing a biopic about Toussaint Louverture that I can’t wait to see. Though, according to IMDb, I’m going to have to wait until 2013.

There aren’t a whole lot of movies out there with serious roles for actors of color. There’s no lack of those in The Boiling Season. Don...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Christopher Hebert's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Boiling Season.

Writers Read: Christopher Hebert.

My Book, The Movie: The Boiling Season.

--Marshal Zeringue