Thursday, January 10, 2013

Adam Mansbach's "Rage Is Back," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Rage Is Back by Adam Mansbach.

The entry begins:
First, let me say that it's a pleasure to answer this question about Rage Is Back instead of Go the Fuck to Sleep (which is being made into a feature film by Fox 2000, and I have absolutely no idea how). These days, when I think about adaptation, I'm as drawn to high-end cable as to film: building out a story over several seasons, instead of shaving the novel down into a two hour story.

That said, I feel like Rage Is Back moves quickly to enough to go either way, and I've been lucky enough to have some film and theatrical interest already. I didn't write it with any actors in mind – though there are real-life graffiti writers like PHASE 2, RAMMELLZEE and KASE 2 who are partial models for some of the characters.

Danny Hoch performs most of the audiobook, with The GZA and Wyatt Cenac contributing smaller roles, and I think Danny, who's an old friend of mine, would be great as Billy Rage, the famed graff writer who returns to NYC after sixteen years on the run, and also makes his way back to sanity after a psychic attack by a rival shaman in the Amazon basin.

As Cloud 9, a graffiti writer and grand larcenist who was Billy's best friend back in the day and plays a crucial role in the epic mission to paint every subway train in the NYC system in one weekend, I'm thinking Michael...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Adam Mansbach's website.

Mansbach’s books include the number one international bestseller Go the Fuck to Sleep, the California Book Award– winning novel The End of the Jews, and the cult classic Angry Black White Boy.

My Book, The Movie: Rage Is Back.

--Marshal Zeringue