Saturday, April 13, 2013

Maya Angelou's 6 favorite books

For The Week magazine, poet and memoirist Maya Angelou named six works that influenced her in her life and career, including:
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

When I read Alcott, I knew that these girls she was talking about were all white. But they were nice girls and I understood them. I felt like I was almost there with them in their living room and their kitchen.
Read about another book on Angelou's list.

Little Women also appears among Tim Lewis's ten best Christmas lunches in literature, and on the Observer's list of the ten best fictional mothers, Eleanor Birne's top ten list of books on motherhood, Erin Blakemore's list of five gutsy heroines to channel on an off day, Kate Saunders' critic's chart of mothers and daughters in literature, and ZoĆ« Heller's list of five memorable portraits of sisters. It is a book that disappointed Geraldine Brooks on re-reading.

--Marshal Zeringue