Saturday, October 19, 2013

Five books that might make you sound brilliant

Alina Simone is a singer and writer based in Brooklyn. Her new novel is Note to Self.

At The Barnes & Noble Book Blog Simone highlighted "five books just bursting with facts that can make you the toast of your next dinner party, or at least a bit more interesting in a crowded elevator," including:
Russophobia in New Zealand 1838–1908 by Glynn Barratt

The stranger and more cryptic the subject matter, the more conversational punch. At least, this was my thinking when I purchased Russophobia. The mysteries inherent in the title just keep growing. First you think, Why fear Russians? Then you reach the words “New Zealand,” and barely have time to register the idea of Russo-averse Kiwis before learning that this strange aversion lasted seventy years! I have to admit, however, that I haven’t made it past page seven. But when I do, I expect to have enough ballast to charm and fascinate my way through an entire summer’s worth of waiting-room conversations!
Read about another book on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue