Sunday, April 20, 2014

Daryl Gregory's "Afterparty," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Afterparty by Daryl Gregory.

The entry begins:
I don’t usually have anyone famous in mind while I’m writing… but Lyda Rose, the hard-drinking and technically insane protagonist of Afterparty, was written with this woman in mind. That’s Lucinda Williams. I have no idea if she can act. But I know she could play Lyda. Lemmee explain.

Lyda’s an ex-neuroscientist. Ten years before, she overdosed on a drug she helped create. In small doses, Numinous gives that feeling of grace, of being in touch with some higher power. But OD, and it can install a permanent hallucination of a deity in your brain.

Now, ten years later, an underground church is making Numinous again, and Lyda has to shut them down. Her only companions are Ollie, a neuroatypical escapee from a psych ward, and Lyda’s own personal...[read on]
Visit Daryl Gregory's website and blog.

My Book, The Movie: Afterparty.

--Marshal Zeringue