Sunday, December 31, 2017

Five books that changed Meg Gardiner's writing life

Edgar-winning novelist Meg Gardiner writes thrillers. Fast-paced and full of twists, her books have been called “Hitchcockian” (USA Today) and “nailbiting and moving” (Guardian). They have been bestsellers in the U.S. and internationally and have been translated into more than 20 languages.

Gardiner's latest novel is UNSUB, the first book in a series featuring homicide investigator Caitlin Hendrix.

One of five books that changed Gardiner's writing life, as shared with Crimespree Magazine:
A Is for Alibi, Sue Grafton

My sister gave me this book when my daughter was born. I would tell my family that I needed quiet time to put the baby to bed—then I’d close her bedroom door, wait two minutes for her to fall asleep, and secretly read for an hour. I couldn’t get enough of the book’s twisting mystery or its feisty protagonist. With every page, I wished: Kinsey Millhone, be my friend. Beyond that, this novel showed me how a female series heroine could work. When I finished it, I thought: Yes. Give me more. And let me learn to write fiction that aspires to be as good.
Read about another book on the list.

Kinsey Millhone made Jeff Somers's list of six top characters only getting better with age.

Visit Meg Gardiner's website, blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: UNSUB.

--Marshal Zeringue